For those of you who still read this blog, thanks and apologies. I’m sorry to say that this blog is on the verge of being suspended and, following that, will disappear. Since the beginning of this month, this site has been experiencing high resource usage and was consequently suspended by its web host MidPhase. It was subsequently moved to Site5 but the problem has recurred despite my attempts to address it. Like MidPhase, Site5 wants to move me to a VPS but I can’t justify spending USD55/mth for a zombie blog that only has an average of 100 hits a day. So, good bye and thanks for all the fish.
For those you who are interested in this kind of thing, I’ll list the actions I’ve tried (and failed) to contain resource usage that was almost double my shared hosting allocation:
- Used Sucuri Scanner to check the website for malware – nothing found;
- Optimize the database, also deleted the legacy /souomou and /taihendesu blogs – worked the first round when I dropped all the SQL tables for /souomou;
- Disabled all plugins;
- Installed and activated WP Super Cache plugin;
- Changed my theme to Twenty Twelve, and now to the old WordPress Default 1.6 – in fact the first round of problems began immediately after I changed the theme to Twenty Eleven, the second round was when I found that RSS had stopped working and got it back up by saving custom permalinks (same settings) again;
- Installed and activated P3 Profiler plugin – feedback was that it was the WP Core itself that was consuming the bulk of resources;
- Installed and activated WP Cron Control plugin as recommended by Site5 technical support;
- Installed and activated WP Minify plugin;
Given that the previous ‘figure collection’ post was published by some trojan (somehow introduced by my earlier logins – Sorry Zyl-bro!), I thought I better right the record by updating this entry.
Six years is a long time is any hobby, especially one as expensive as the PVC passion. It hasn’t always been so. The bulk of my scaled figures in 2006 were bought at a median price of S$68. In 2012, it’s almost double at S$130. It’s like a S$10 hike every year. No wonder few of the original figure bloggers are still in this game today. The figure scene has also changed dramatically with the introduction of nendroids and figma. Many scaled figure collectors, dismayed at the skyrocketing scaled figure prices, cast themselves into diminutive arms of the chibi nendroid gods to never look back at the appropriatedly-formed scaled PVC beauties. I don’t think I’m wrong to say that most of the remaining scaled figure collectors from the era of Hontou ni taihen desu are probably gonna be sticking around till their girlfriend/wife/baby comes along (ie a lifelong hobby for some privileged few.)
Some numbers to chew on as I chart my PVC path for 2013
Maryan-senpai is displeased
Due to something Ifla has done, the entire cast has been transported into a sword and sorcery RPG computer game. They defeat the real Boss and don’t return to the real world. After some cajoling, they finally find the hint and then the required item(s).
Breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Yozora still had her short cut
Kodaka suggests that the Neighbours Club write a relay novel where each take their turn after the one before has completed a page. What ensues is a self-insert Mary Sue revenge fic with yaoi mecha action. At the end of the afternoon’s entertainment, they agree to get back to the club’s main objective: to make friends.
Lolicon heretic making an offering of penance to fellow Oneesiah Inquisitor
There’s only so much singular Inquisitors, working alone, can do in the endless war against heretics who proclaim the primacy of the Imouto over the Oneechan and against disbelievers in the glory of Yuri. To better smite my enemies, I’m recruiting a retinue to assist me.
While many Oneechan-type characters have excellent CVs, this recruitment list gives precedence to those who have been recently active, appearing in anime that have aired between Fall of 2011 and Summer of 2012. Diversity is important too so all will be from different anime, i.e. not more than one from each anime. Ability to work as part of a team is also especially valued.